Beau

Beau
Our "Beau"tiful Blessing

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"The Retarded Moms"

I got a really nice email the other day from a woman, who is a mother to a 61 year old daughter who has an intellectual disability and is unable to speak words.  I met her early on in my quest to make connections with other mothers of special needs children.  She may hate me for saying this, but I look at her like a grandmother figure :) She volunteers for our local ARC and is a huge advocate in our community for the handicapped.  Hopefully she won't mind if I share a few parts of her email.

"Wow, I made it to your blog tonight.  Absolutely wonderful girl."

During the next paragraph she talks a little about her daughter.

"Like Beau, a really sweet loving special needs child.  She and Beau are definitely God's angels.  In our human life this is as close as anyone can get to an angel on this earth and they are ours and we can love and hug our own special angel....not everyone is that blessed.

I could go on and on....just give a mother of a special needs child the floor, and the words will spill out.  You are doing a great job being a mom and Andy a father."

This next section of her email stopped me short and I had to re-read it, because I wasn't sure I'd read it correctly.......

"Years ago when the moms went to get things for our organization (the ARC), guess what they called us? "The Retarded Moms"."

She states that it didn't really bother her and the other "retarded moms", because it meant someone was talking about them and their organization.  If people were talking, money was being donated.  Can you imagine though?  I started crying when I read that in the email, but back then, that was the terminology they used.  I don't know that I could have laughed it off like they did, but I guess they were just glad someone was paying attention to their organization. 

"One thing is for sure without (her daughter, I'm leaving out her name) handicap in my life, I'm absolutely sure I would not be doing what I am doing...volunteering for the handicapped.  It is almost a full time obsession.  But I love it and it is so worthwhile.  And it gives me a special purpose in life and I get more out of it I'm sure than I give."

The kind and loving email went on with praise for Andy and I and praise for our family and the support that they provide for Beau.  It really inspires me and lets me know that even 61 years later, she is still fighting for her daughter and still educating the community and anyone that will listen about intellectual disabilities.  I can only pray that I will still be like this when I am her age.  She's definitely an inspiration to many, but a big inspiration to me.  Support your local ARC!


1 comment:

  1. Geez! Some of the stuff they used to say back in the day! My dad is 74 and some stuff he says makes me stop dead in my tracks!

    ReplyDelete