Beau

Beau
Our "Beau"tiful Blessing

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A little about me.....

I recently read another mother's blog and she mentioned how she liked it when the blogger wrote a little about themselves to help others get to know them.  I enjoyed reading about her and thought maybe I would share a little about myself.

I grew up in a small Iowa town not very far from where I live now.  After high school I went on to get my bachelors of science in nursing degree.  I never was a fan of hospital nursing, so for 8 years I worked as a registered nurse/branch manager and clinical nurse manager for 2 different DME (durable medical equipment) companies.  I loved the work I did.  I traveled a lot for my job all over the state of Iowa and southern Minnesota.  Being able to see patients in their home environment and get them set up with the proper equipment to stay in their home was very rewarding.  I moved a few times for the job but eventually decided to come back to my home area in 2006 when I bought a condo and started up another branch for the DME company I worked for.  I met and married my husband in 2007 and in 2008 we welcomed our first and only child, Beau (pronouced "Bo"). 

After having Beau I was able to stay home for the first year thanks to my husband and his job.  After the year was over, times became difficult (as it did for many Americans) and I went back to work.  My position had obviously been filled and I wanted something different.  Nursing just wasn't my passion anymore.  I ended up getting a job in a law firm.  The owner, our lawyer, hired me and that's where I've been ever since.  I love the challenge it's given me. 

One day I'd love to be a writer, writing articles for magazines or writing a book related to parenting of special needs children.  I wish I had some sort of a connection somewhere but until then, I'll keep dreaming and keep blogging :)  One of my other passions is non-profit organizations.  I'd love to work for a big non-profit organization having to do with children.  Nothing like doing what you enjoy and are passionate about and getting paid to do it - doesn't seem like work really.  I started my own non-profit last year and hope that one day it will be bigger than ever.  It's hard to get it really big when working full time, but I'm always up for a challenge.  It's called Beau's Beautiful Blessings, Inc. and we raise money for intellectually disabled children in our community to help guarantee that they get the things they need, especially when insurance won't cover it.  Things such as uncovered medical equipment, therapy dogs, camp scholarships, etc.  Our Board of Directors meets later this month and I'm excited about the money that we will be able to give away!

I love playing with my son or napping with my son, reading a great book, pop music and country music, bowling with my husband (although it's been a few years), going for walks, the movies Dumb and Dumber and both Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men, reality television (The Real Housewives), pizza, Nascar, Jimmy Johnson and taking pictures. 

So there - that's a little about me.  Nothing too exciting but decided I would share just a few pieces of information.  If nothing else, the most important piece of information you can know about me is this; I'm Beau's mom.  I'm most proud of that title and I am so lucky to have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment