Beau

Beau
Our "Beau"tiful Blessing

Friday, July 8, 2011

One day it's there, the next day....not so much

The amazing thing I'm learning about P-ACC is that it seems one day Beau has gotten something figured out and the next day it could be gone.  For instance, one day he can drink from a straw and the next day he hasn't a clue how to use the straw.  Or when he first learned to crawl and one day he'd be fine and the next day it would seem like he couldn't remember how to do it.  I've noticed this phenomenon a few times throughout our journey with P-ACC.  He learned "mama" in sign language and verbal language right before Mother's Day in 2010 when he was 2 years old.  It was the best gift I could have ever gotten!  You have a child and you wait for that beautiful moment when you hear them say to you -"mama".  Having to wait longer to hear that precious sound makes it that much more special.  Unfortunately he seemed to forget about it after a few weeks and it disappeared.  That was last year, but it's been making a much appreciated come back in the last month or so!  I think that so often people take for granted how fortunate they are and they miss how truly amazing these milestones are.  I've learned so much patience, tolerance and how to appreciate the very BIG "small" accomplishments that Beau makes.   Enjoy every moment of your child and appreciate each and every one of their accomplishments to the fullest!

There is one thing that I want to make sure that everyone understands......this blog, the fact that I talk openly about Beau and his diagnosis, etc. doesn't mean I am looking for any type of sympathy or props.  As far as I'm concerned God has given me the most perfect child ever and I would never ask for anything different.  Because of Beau, I've become a better person.  I realize the job that God has given me and I will do whatever it takes to educate people and make them realize just how amazing and wonderful intellectually disabled persons are.  Sure I have my "down" moments where I am saddened by certain aspects of this life that has chosen me, but who would I be if it weren't for Beau?


For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139: 13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment