Beau

Beau
Our "Beau"tiful Blessing

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Girlfriends, prom, bullies, driving, football, HS graduation, marriage, college, grandkids......

Ok, so the title is long but it does have meaning.  These are just some of MANY questions that run through my head, and well.....I'm not afraid to admit it because I have a feeling there are many other parents out there with special needs children that ask the same questions. Here you go......

Will Beau ever have a girlfriend?  Will he ever understand what a girlfriend is?  Will he go to prom and have a date?  Will he learn to tie his shoes?  Will people take advantage of him?  How mean will kids be towards him?  What cruel and horrible things will the "typical" kids say to him or do to him?  What if he can't ever verbalize to us what is happening?  Will he ever be able to get a driver's license or drive a car?  Will he ever be able to ride a bike? Will he ever be potty trained?  Will he ever run without falling?  He loves football but will he ever be able to play?  Will he have friends?  Will he graduate from high school?  Will he go to college?  Will he fall in love and get married?  Will he have children of his own?  Will he ever be seizure free?  Will I ever hear the words, "Mommy I love you"?  Will he ever be able to dress/undress himself?  What if something happens to Andy and I, like an accident, who will be there to take care of Beau and accept that responsibility? 


Some of these questions I think I have the answer to, but there are many others that I can only speculate on.  Every time one of these questions pops into my head I remind myself of a few very basic things: God is in control of this, not me; I worried whether Beau would ever be able to crawl, and he did, just a little later than average - I worried whether Beau would ever walk, and he did, just a little later than average; I need to let each day happen, not focusing on the future, and be overjoyed by the moments where he surprises me with his ABILITIES rather than his DISABILITIES. 

This little boy is missing a portion of his brain so to accomplish these tasks, like crawling or walking is like you or I climbing to the top of the highest mountain - not easy.  Although I have all of these questions, and many more, there is one thing I don't worry about - Beau's happiness.  He loves his life and has an amazingly happy and loving attitude.  I think we can all learn something from that.

One last question for this post - and this is for those of you reading this.......could you resist smiling every time you saw this face?

I didn't think so!

1 comment:

  1. The answer is NO, I cannot resist...I am smiling as I look at this sweet boy of yours!

    ReplyDelete