Beau

Beau
Our "Beau"tiful Blessing

Monday, July 2, 2018

The Wedding Gift

“Sometimes those who give the most are the ones with the least to spare.” ~Mike Mcintyre

Our lives have been incredibly blessed over the years with caregivers for our children that love and care for them as if they were their own.  Finding childcare, especially for Beau, is very challenging and requires finding just the right person.  The last few years we have been blessed with Kelsey. 

Kelsey came to us the result of an ad I placed on the UNI job board.  She was attending UNI for special education and her plans included staying on to be in the Masters Program after finishing her undergrad.  Our first meeting took place via FaceTime and we could tell right away that her smile and bubbly personality would be a great fit for our kids. 

She’s been with us now for 2 years and she is our go-to sitter for our kids.  I’ve never seen someone love children so deeply that aren’t even her own.  To say she has a special bond with Beau would be an understatement. 



A year ago she became engaged to be married to her boyfriend Matt.  She asked permission for Beau and Delaney to be in her wedding.  I was flattered but quickly asked if she was sure she wanted to do that.  After all, Beau can be unpredictable and the last thing I wanted was for our children to somehow ruin her special day.  She said it didn’t matter to her and that she wanted our children to be a part of her wedding.  




As the wedding drew closer, Kelsey and Matt placed an order for 250 of the handmade Bracelets for Beau to give away as wedding gifts to those who attended.  She said she wanted to make her guests aware of Beau's Beautiful Blessings and the Place to Play Park and her own passion for inclusion. Our group was honored and 250+ beautiful bracelets were handmade and packaged with a special message for the wedding guests. 



The wedding of Kelsey and Matt was this past weekend.  Friday evening was the rehearsal and dinner. After the dinner, Kelsey and Matt gave us a check which I assumed would be for $250 for the purchase of the bracelets.  You can imagine my shock when the check was more than that and was at a level high enough to receive a plaque on the fence wall.  I sat there amazed that this young couple, both in the masters program at UNI and both working part-time would give such a generous amount of money to our playground.  I spent most of the evening fretting over it and then realized I shouldn’t be surprised because this is Kelsey’s personality and who she is. And if she didn't want to do it, she wouldn't have done it.  

One would have thought this generous and kind story stopped there.  But it was only just beginning.  



Saturday was the wedding.  It was one of the most beautiful weddings I have been to and the first wedding for our children to not only attend but to be a very special part of.  I was quite nervous, praying Delaney wouldn’t be too shy and that Beau wouldn’t get too scared by the crowd of people, to walk down the aisle.  To our complete relief and joy, both kids did amazing and it was quite a moment for us as parents.  A few years back that never would have happened for Beau.  A year ago, Delaney would have been way too shy and afraid to walk down that aisle.  She was so focused on making sure her brother held his sign and walked with her that I don’t think she had time to focus on her own nerves.  It was a big step for our kids and we couldn’t be more proud of how they did. 




The reception was amazing as well.  We walked in and were able to see this amazing table set up with a photo of Kelsey and Beau as well as our display board for the Place to Play Park.  The bracelets were there in their bags and ready to hand out. After everyone got their meals, the bridal party started their speeches.  Kelsey had told me she would be making a speech about the bracelets and she mentioned that while she would be talking, the bridesmaids would be handing the bracelets out to the guests.

I was anxious to hear her speech.  I failed to record her speech because I wanted to be fully in the moment and hear what she had to say.  I had no idea that the following words would come out of her mouth. 

You can read the full speech in the photo above but here is the part that took my breath away: “Matt and I wanted to do something special for our ring bearer (Beau) and flower girl (Delaney) and their parents to show our love for them and our support for the park.  We purchased some bracelets from Beau’s friends and are giving them to you in the hopes that you will think about kindness and inclusion for all when you see them.” 

And then there was this:

“Matt and I will also be donating all funds from our wedding to the Place to Play inclusive playground in Cedar Falls, Iowa in honor of Beau and the Weichers family. We believe and support wholeheartedly a park where all children can play together.”

And then I cried. 

I audibly said, “no you aren’t” when she said it.  I then looked at my family and said, “who does that?"  

What young couple in their early twenties donates their wedding money to a charity??

It wasn’t long before complete strangers were walking up to our table handing us cash for the playground.  After the Dollar Dance, Kelsey walked over the cash and handed it to us for the playground.  And I kept asking myself, who does that??? 

I want you to think back to your early twenties and your wedding.  Ask yourself honestly, would you have given away all the cash/checks given to you at your wedding?  I asked myself this question and my honest answer was, no, I wouldn’t have done it.  There were bills to pay, a house to buy or a honeymoon to go on.  At this point in my life, however, that answer would be different, thanks to Beau. 

This should tell you everything you need to know about Kelsey and Matt and the kind of people they are.  I was asking myself repeatedly about “who does this” and then I realized exactly who does this. 

A person with a giving heart.   

A person who has empathy and compassion for those with differing needs. 

A person whose parents have raised them to understand the truly important things in life. 

The type of person I hope my own daughter will turn out to be. 

I started this post with the following quote and will say it again here:
 “Sometimes those who give the most are the ones with the least to spare.” ~Mike Mcintyre

The Place to Play Park project will be one for the books.  It hasn’t been a ton of large donors that have supported the project.  It has been small donations that have added up.  This tiny non-profit, Beau's Beautiful Blessings, with its volunteers are pulling off something the big charities never expected we could do.  It's because of people like Kelsey and Matt. And honestly, that is why it will be so special. 

Help me in thanking Matt and Kelsey for their very selfless act.  Kelsey, my kids love you so much and have such a special bond with you that can’t be explained.  I have always felt this way about you (even before this generous act).  We are lucky to have you in our lives and I know that amazing things lie ahead for you. You guys don’t want recognition or expect anything in return but I feel that it is important for your example to inspire others.   



“True kindness lies within the act of giving without the expectation of receiving anything in return.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment